Welcome Class of 2020 Parents!
First Things First!
- We'd like to get to know you. Please take a moment to fill in your Family Information Form. Accurate and up-to-date contact information, especially email addresses, are extremely important as the univeristy communicates frequently via email.
- The 2016-2017 Academic Calendar will help you plan your student's travel for scheduled breaks - and yours for visiting.
Summer Send-Off Schedule
- The Parents Programs office is rolling out the red carpet to welcome our new families this summer. We look forward to meeting you and your new Blue Jay at a local Summer Student Send-Off. You and your student can register here.
Move-In and Orientation 2016
- Move-in dates, determined by your student's dorm assignment, are Friday, August 26 and Saturday, August 27, 2016.
- Parents will be invited to stay and partake in Parent Orientation through Sunday, August 28.
- Student Orientation 2016 will take place Saturday, August 27 through Wednesday, August 31. Parents will be provided Orientation planning and logistics updates from the University weekly, all summer long from the Orientation office - stay tuned!
Family Weekend 2016
- Family Weekend 2016 is all set for Friday, October 7 through Sunday, October 9. Although the actual schedule will be posted in the fall, you can review the 2015 Schedule for planning purposes.
- Our Hotels resource page will assist with planning your lodging for the weekend - remember, always inquire if the hotel has a "Hopkins rate."
- Our suggestion: plan your travels to arrive by noon on Friday as Parents College is always a huge hit! These crash courses instructed by stellar Hopkins faculty are a fantastic opportunity for parents to experience a vibrant Homewood classroom and then compare notes with your student!
Ways to be Involved -- Parents Programs
- Join the Hopkins Parents Council.
- Become a Hopkins Parent Ambassador by volunteering your time to one or more of our many outreach programs, or hosting an event in your local area.
- Coordinate your place of business with the JHU Career Center to provide valuable internship opportunities for students through the Parents Internship Network (PIN), summer and full-time employment, or offer your expertise in a specific providing career advice.
- Participate with your fellow parents in supporting the Student Life Experience on the Homewood campus with your gift to the Hopkins Parents Fund.
- By July 1, 2016, Class of 2020 parents will be invited by email to join the closed Hopkins Parents Facebook group as a cohort. It will be great place to get your questions answered and keep in touch with a 2,700+ parent members of this virtual commmunity.
- Facebook Frequently Asked Questions--the following documents have been prepared by parent volunteer, Allison Nussbaum, P'16 and Parents Programs to provide insights into parent facebook conversations regarding all things Hopkins. NOTE: the FAQs reflect the 2013-14 academic year.
Dormitories and Preparing to Move-In | Room Mate Assignments and Arrangements | Moving In | Transportation | Hotels | Shopping Nearby Homewood | Security | Medical Care and Emergencies
- The JHU Parents Guide is a handy reference guide which is updated and published annually for all current parents highlighting Homewood schools, campus-wide departments, contact information, and a year-long calendar. The 2016-17 Guide will be published this summer and distributed during Orientation to all parents.
- JHU News Website, The Hub, highlights announcements and noteworthy, timely news stories.
|Carol M. Lorton, Director||Margie Carney, Associate Director||Kristina Snyder, Coordinator|