Welcome Class of 2017 Parents!
We hope you find this page a helpful resource for current information and direction as you assist your student with the transition to college life.
First Things First!
- Please take a moment to fill in your Family Information Form. To keep your family informed, we need accurate and up-to-date contact information, especially email addresses as we use electronic communication frequently.
Orientation and Move-In
- Mark your calendars for the big day! The 2013 Orientation and Move-In will take place on Wednesday, August 28 and Thursday, August 29. The full 2013 program schedule is still being developed but you can view the 2012 schedule to get a good idea of what to expect.
- Freshmen will receive their Move-In day based upon their housing assignment. Housing assignments will be annouced mid-July. For planning purposes, espcially if you have need to travel from far away, it is suggested that you make plans to move your student in on the 2nd day. It is always acceptable to move in a day late but can be problematic to move in a day in advance.
- Looking further into the next academic year, the Fall 2013-Spring 2014 Housing and Dining calendar will help you plan your student's travel for scheduled breaks.
Family Weekend 2013--Save the date!
- We hope you'll plan to attend Family Weekend--Friday, November 1, 2013-Sunday, November 3, 2013. Our Hotels resource page will assist you with your planning for this activity packed weekend with your JHU student. Plan to arrive on Friday because Parent College is always a huge hit! These crash courses instructed by Hopkins faculty are a fantastic opportunity for parents to experience a taste of what students are exposed to daily here at Homewood.
- Keep your eyes out for a printed post card in mid-July detailing Family Weekend information. You can expect the link for Family Weekend to begin showing a schedule-in-progress during mid-July that will evolve throughout the summer as events and activities are confirmed.
Ways to be Involved--Parents Programs
- Become a Hopkins Parent Ambassador by volunteering your time to one or more of our many outreach programs, or hosting an event in your local area.
- Join the Hopkins Parents Council.
- Coordinate your place of business with the JHU Career Center to provide valuable internship opportunities for students through the Parent Internship Network (PIN), summer and full-time employment, or offer your expertise in a specific providing career advice.
- Keep an eye out for your invitation to join the Hopkins Parents closed Facebook group in July 2013 with other Class of 2017 parents.
- Facebook Frequently Asked Questions--the following documents have been prepared by current parent volunteer, Allison Nussbaum, P'16 and Parents Programs to provide insights into parent facebook conversations regarding all things Hopkins.
Dormitories and Preparing to Move-In | Room Mate Assignments and Arrangements | Moving In 2013 | Orientation 2013 | Transportation | Hotels | Shopping Nearby Homewood | Security | Medical Care and Emergencies
- The 2012-2013 JHU Parent Guide -- this handy reference guide is updated and published annually for all current parents highlighting Homewood schools, campus-wide departments, contact information, and a year-long calendar.
- 2012-2013 Parents Advising Handbook -- A helpful guide for all parents to navigate the incredible range of resources available for their Hopkins students.
- JHU Admissions provides students with a link to the admitted student website in the admissions packet. This site contains helpful information for both the admitted students and their families. Please access through packet information.
- JHU News Website, The Hub, highlights announcements and noteworthy, timely news stories.